Antrica Single Use Plastic “Zero Usage” Policy
Antrica have taken on the challenge of reducing to zero all single use plastic within its packaging of Encoders and Decoders by the end of 2020. Also we are striving to paperless shipments wherever possible.
NON Single Use Plastic uses.
Products which are sold by Antrica are not considered Single use as these are reused with a typical lifetime of 5 years plus. These are recycled under the WEEE directive along with power supplies and cables. These products may use plastic at this time.
SINGLE use plastics:
These are considered as any plastic material within the packaging and shipment of Antrica products either from our component suppliers or from Antrica to our customers ,which is thrown away or recycled.
To have all packaging material used in the shipment of Antrica Products to have zero plastic content by the end of 2020 . This includes so called bio degradable plastics called OXO recyclable plastics. These plastics bio degrade into micro plastics only and then cease , leaving micro plastics in the environment .This is harmful particularly to marine life who digest these micro plastics.
Our aim is to have all materials fully comply with the following 3 definitions:
- Recycle-able: The ability to reuse the material if needed and remake new packaging material. Example paper or cardboard can be recycled to make new packing materials.
- Bio Degradable: The ability for the material to degrade over a year or less thus reducing its landfill volume. This only refers to the breakdown of the material but does not take into account what the material may put into the earth . OXO degradable plastic can be considered Bio Degradable but this still leaves an unwanted residue (Micro plastics/ petroleum by products )
- Compostable: Is one step further than bio degradable as the material puts nutrients back in the soil which have a positive effect (eg like plant matter)
Antrica want all our packaging to meet all 3 of the above definitions by end of 2020 and not just one or two. This means all our future packaging can be recycled and or composted making this the best we can achieve during 2020.
2021 and on we will strive to improve the materials we use as technology develops the packing industry to further reduce harmful effects of our packaging.
What packing materials are we attempting to replace with Compostable alternatives:
- Cardboard or paper boxes /envelopes of any type will not contain any plastic.(windows in envelopes as an example)
- Plastic Packing tape to be replaced by Water Activated reinforced paper tape.
- Plastic Air Pillows to replace bubble wrap where possible. Plastic air pillows replaced by potato or other starch based pillows. Pillows use less material than bubble wrap.
- Bubble Wrap, where required this will be paper or starch based alternatives.
- Expanded foam either solid or soft: Replaced by Pulp moulded packing or cardboard inserts to hold Antrica products.
- Documents Enclosed wallets for despatch notes and Airway bills/ commercial invoices to be replaced by self adhesive shipping labels or Paper based document enclosed wallets with no plastic content.
- Labels of any type on boxes will be paper rather than coated foil. (Equipment will continue to sue foil/plastic labels as these remain with the product for life and need to be robust)
- Strapping tape: Reduce to zero usage or replace with Compostable alternatives.
- Plastic bags will be removed all together and if replaced will be in a paper based or Starch based material.
We will be clearly marking all materials used in packaging so Customers are fully aware they can recycle safely or compost safely any Antrica packaging.
Zilica Ltd (Antrica is a Division of Zilica Ltd)
February 1st 2020
If you’d like further information please email firstname.lastname@example.org